I started this as experiment in what might be called public news, or hyper-local news, news focused only on Anacortes. As I've become older, I've slowed down and am not publishing much in Anacortes news.
It's clear to me that there are a lot of people who really want to create content. Just look at the number of people posting personal information at sites such as Facebook, videos at sites such as YouTube, still photos at dozens of Web sites. And, dozens of new blogs appear almost daily in this country.
So, with this evidence that many people want a chance to get involved and want to publish, I'd like to see if we can use some of that desire.
Anacortes has become home to retirees, people who have worked not only in Skagit County, but in the cities around the world. I believe there's abundant talent available here. I want to use it to drive a citizen storytelling Web site devoted to the people and events in Anacortes.
I'd like to see the creation of a Web site which would include these items:
- Daily news reporting by citizen volunteers. Including coverage of City Council, Port District, the School Board, school sports activities, local business and community events. No need to wait for a week or two before coverage hits the American.
- Daily photo coverage of same. So many people have cell phone cameras that could be used to feed pictures to the site.
- Ability to comment online about daily events.
- Ability to initiate un-moderated (but monitored) online dialogs about our community.
- Free classifieds, again without the need to wait for the next edition of the American.
- Hyper-local sections devoted to individual Anacortes communities could be added as the site gains readers and participants.