Cynthia Harrison, Director of the Anacortes Public Library, has several predecessors, dating back 100 years to Luella Howard. That’s worth celebrating, and will be for the entire month of March.
Back in 1890, a free reading room opened at 2nd Street and Q Avenue, but by 1908 the Anacortes citizenry wanted a full-fledged library. Proponents of the idea requested assistance from the Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The venerable institution back east pledged that if the City of Anacortes raised at least $1,000 and furnished a site and books, they would donate $10 for every dollar raised.